Sunday 18 November 2012

Tie Dyed Socks

To culminate our color unit in Science, we decided to tie dye.  Most of my angels do not need yet another tshirt, but I have noticed a few too many toes and heels making daily debuts, and we live in an area where extra socks are necessary after our outdoor recess. So we tie dyed socks. (Teacher tie dye tip#1...ensure the socks are mostly cotton)
A battalion of parent volunteers arrived for our tie dying event and they were able to get the students through in assembly line fashion. Gotta love our parent volunteers! (Tip #2.. get the socks really, really wet before spraying them with fabric dye.)  The students LOVED this activity and were so proud of their socks. They wrote about the procedure in their journals and required zero prompting. They sketched their socks in their sketchbooks and after a week, we took the socks off the clothesline and they were bubbling over with excitement. They put their socks on and they had fun sliding around on the floor. Great opportunity to introduce Sock Hop and talk about the good old days. We sat in a circle and they compared their socks and then we read Robert Munsch's Smelly Socks, definitely not a book to read first thing in the morning.  But was a fun way to end the day and they wore their socks home to 'surprise' mom and dad.





3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of dying the socks instead of a t-shirt...especially when you can read a fun Robert Munsch book!

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit me. =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous activity!! I've never heard of anyone tie dying socks before. I love it!

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea! This would be great as an end of year class activity!

    I'm having a math giveaway/FREEBIE! If you mention my giveaway in a post I will send you it for FREE!

    Renee
    The Reading Corner

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!