Tuesday 6 November 2012

No Rain...No Rainbows


No Rain, no Rainbows is my classroom slogan this year. 


Every year, I spend hours and hours searching for books that have been put in the wrong buckets. Our librarian has always used paint sticks for the kids to hold their place when looking through the shelves.  I thought I'd take it a step further, personalize the sticks so each student is responsible for replacing books in proper bins. After taking a few sticks from a few paint departments,  I scored at one.  Nobody was at the paint desk, and there was a full box of sticks calling my name.  I grabbed two handfuls and ran to my car.

 Hubs dusted off the drill (ooooh, sexy) and put a hole at the top of each stick. My youngest daughter, spraypainted sticks for all of my angels in rainbow colors.   And that folks, was family craft night in Canada.   During the first week of school,  Each child took their tag to decorate.  I laminated nametags and tied them to the stick. It has worked brilliantly. 
 

Rainbow colored Pumpkins?


We read The Bumpy Little Pumpkin one morning and discussed how every pumpkin is different. Don't you just love Little Nell?

The Bumpy Little Pumpkin

I came across this art activity a few months ago and we ripped it like a band-aid a few Fridays ago.  They loved working with pastels and every single angel was proud of the results. This is great for introducing line, shape, shading, primary and secondary colors. And yes, every color of the rainbow is used and my angels loved that tidbit of information. 
 I overheard one of my boys describe the drawing process to his friend; "Draw a weiner and then the bun." Sure, why not?



Et Voila, here are a few finished masterpieces:




Isn't this the bumpiest, and most adorable pumpkin?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!